Village of Neshkoro History

This information came from the Daily Northwestern - 7/15/1968 taken from Come Back in Time, Volume III, Elaine Reetz. If you wish to have any information regarding or pictures of historic Neshkoro please email the Neshkoro Enhancement Committee at info@neshkorowisconsin.com


The original settlers came from New York State seeking homes in the country northwest of the Fox River which had been an Indian reservation and known as Indian Land. Wisconsin was described as having similar climate and soil to the of Germany in 1847-48 and with government land available, German immigrants came to the Neshkoro area.

Some of the area's early industries included a foundry, brick manufacturer, harness shop, meat market, mercantile shop, woolen mill, grist mill, hotels and diners. Agriculture and farming were also key in Neshkoro's early history. The completion of the railroad in 1901 accounted for the continuing progress in Neshkoro's economy and growth. The building of the White River Power Company dates back to 1924 and included a concrete dam, tile powerhouse building, home and bridge across the lower White River. The power company is now called North American Hydro, Inc.

The first log school was built about 1850, and in 1908 a large square brick building was constructed and ranked among one of the first of it's kind in the state. The current school was built in 1960.

Today, Neshkoro is a tranquil village with much to offer residents and visitors alike. The White River and Mill Pond offer year round activities, prime hunting land abounds, and restaurants, taverns, lodging and entertainment can be found in and around the area. We also have many civic, volunteer and religious organizations who play a vital role in the community and are always looking for interested participants.